When selecting exercises for your programme you should build from more general movements to more sport specific exercises. Alternate-side pull-ups are an example of a more Muay Thai clinch specific version of the general pull-up exercise.
Hang with your arms at full extension
Draw your elbow into the side of the body
Raise chin to the bar
Once you can do more than 5 regular pull-ups, this exercise allows you to build strength by loading with enough intensity to bring your maximum repetition total down to 5 or less per side — by progressively using less assistance from the second arm and/or using a wider grip width.
Founder of Heatrick Strength and Conditioning
Don Heatrick is a family man from the UK, former mechanical design engineer, European Muay Thai silver medallist, former pro Thai boxer (ranked 4th in UK while aged 40-years), and the go-to expert on Muay Thai performance training with over 25 years of coaching experience.
Don helps ambitious fighters & coaches take their game to the next level by bridging the gap between Strength & Conditioning, Performance Science, and Muay Thai.
Follow Don Heatrick on Instagram:
FREE VIDEO COURSE | THE SCIENCE OF BUILDING CHAMPIONS
The science of building a Muay Thai champion’s strength & conditioning, which results in…
- Fastest possible short-term progress
- Maximum long-term progress
- More efficient movement patterns
- Better technique
- Relentless endurance (never gas out)
- Reaching athletic potential as quickly and efficiently as possible (without wasting time on things that aren’t worth doing)
- Free up more time for technical training AND life!
- The Optimum 12-Week Fight Camp