In this episode of the Science of Building Champions podcast…
Liam Harrison, 8x World champion, current UK number 1 (and has been for 18 years), renowned Muay Thai coach in his own right, both on the world-wide seminar circuit in-person and online, and more recently, host of the “Kickin’ It” with Liam Harrison podcast…
The Hitman has conquered so much in his life so far, and he’s gaining momentum all the time! Join me as I learn from Liam, his approach to life, the battles he still faces, and we take a glimpse at a champion’s mindset.
You can find out more about Liam and his work from his website here, and @liambadco on Instagram here. And his clothing brand Eleventh Commandment here.
And if you found this valuable, please like, subscribe, and share this with someone else it could help too!
Each episode revolves around my Four Big Questions…
- What’s Your Story?
- What’s Your Why?
- What Makes A Champion?
- Challenges And Lessons Learned?
Digging into the answers to these questions helps uncover and share both the commonalities, and the differences in the journey to become a champion. And can help inspire and fast-track your journey too.
Few in the world, let alone in the West, have competed and remained at the level that Liam Harrison has done for over 18 years now.
His considerable achievements in Muay Thai are forged from both the people he surrounds himself with, and his incredible mindset.
And it’s his mindset that also sees him succeeding in his ventures outside of competitive fighting too.
“Success leaves clues” as they say…
And this podcast is packed full of them, and you don’t need to be no Sherlock to find them!
Learn from the best in the business…
Timestamped Links To Key Points of Interest…
- Starting Muay Thai for self-defence and fitness (for football)
- Surrounded by champions at Bad Company Gym
- Getting the UK #1 spot at 17 yrs old
- The importance of finding and sticking to your most competitive fight weight
- One Championship’s weigh-in procedure
- Become a coach and creating a seminar circuit!
- Offering more, to more people with online coaching
- Not so arrogant to realise others on the team can demo some things better
- When you have a lot of information, unless it’s structured well, it becomes useless
- Forever learning new things, forever evolving, and then sharing with everyone
- Training! Sparring! Fighting! Coaching! Amazing! Being competitive, and chasing that high!
- Realising a fighter has a shelf-life, and precious time being stolen
- Appreciating every aspect of training and coaching, and looking after your body
- Injuries! And a knee meniscus experience!
- Fighting… the first thing I think about when I wake up, and the last thing I think of before I go to bed
- A bit of a show off… Don’t want to fight behind closed doors… A crowd spurs me on
- Discipline and heart can’t be taught
- I’ve seen many fighters get this close, but then drop off, never to be heard of again
- Failing your way to success
- If you gonna do it, do it properly
- Liam mastering “Blue Steel” ;) before his clothing brand goes HUGE
- Bouncing back from bad losses
- Bouncing back from injuries!
- Fighting until I’m a pile of dust on the floor… and eyeballs!
- Evolving training, training smarter, lessons to pass on
- Current One champions are older, and are exploding S&C to stay in the game
- Be obsessed, and believe in yourself