In this episode of the Science of Building Champions podcast…
Jonathan Haggerty, the 24 year old, 3x World champion, and former ONE Championship Flyweight Muay Thai World Champion, after beating none other than the legendary Sam A!
“The General” joins us from Singapore ahead of his ONE Championship main event fight against Taiki Naito on ONE:BIG BANG II on 11 Dec 2020.
You can find out more about Jonathan and his exploits on Instagram:
Jonathan Haggerty – @jhaggerty_
Team Underground – @teamundergroundmma_official
Keddles Gym – @keddles_and_bruce_gym_
The Knowlesey Academy – @theknowlesyacadem
And of course catch the latest on Jonathan’s ONE Championship fight against Taiki Naito @onechampionship on instagram too.
Join the most informed Muay Thai performance community out there!
Subscribe Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/donheatrick
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-science-of-building-champions/id1493554765
Each episode revolves around my Four Big Questions…
- What’s Your Story?
- What’s Your Why?
- What Makes A Champion?
- Challenges And Lessons Learned?
Digging into the answers to these questions helps uncover and share both the commonalities, and the differences in the journey to become a champion. And can help inspire and fast-track your journey too.
Jonathan Haggerty has proven that accepting the biggest challenges, even when that means you sometimes come up a little short, is the fast track to reaching the top.
Believing in yourself, and surrounding yourself with a team that believe and support you too, is essential for this strategy to pay off.
Taking action isn’t just accepting the biggest of fights, it’s pushing yourself in training every day… multiple times a day.
Being openminded, and seeking out opportunities to improve have served Jonathan well. And, at 24 years old, he’s only getting started.
Timestamped Links To Key Points of Interest…
- Live from Singapore, ONE Championship hotel room
- How it all started
- Representing three gyms!
- Elbows! Falling in love with Muay Thai!
- Being noticed and fighting on dream promotions
- Never stop learning, and build a team that challenges you
- Rodtang, the biggest challenge to date
- Struggle makes you growing as a fighter, not easy wins
- Evolving from training once a day… to three times a day
- Fight camp adjustments
- Not even a weight cut… just nice and lean!
- 10 weeks invested fight preparation
- Building tolerance to training, avoiding injury
- In hindsight, I’d have started wrestling/BJJ earlier too
- Aim for the top… no one is better than you
- Loyalty, to a team with your best interests
Founder of Heatrick Strength and Conditioning
Don Heatrick is a family man from the UK, former mechanical design engineer, European Muay Thai silver medallist, former pro Thai boxer (ranked 4th in UK while aged 40-years), a Muay Thai coach, podcast host, and the go-to expert on Muay Thai performance training with over 25 years of coaching experience.
Don helps ambitious fighters and coaches take their game to the next level by bridging the gap between Strength & Conditioning, Performance Science, and Muay Thai.
Follow Don Heatrick on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/donheatrick/
Leave A Comment