Martial arts and Muay Thai are all that 25 year old Dan McGowan has ever known. And just when he began to question his own dedication and purpose, Muay Thai gave back – in the form of fantastic opportunities with the other legends at Evolve MMA in Singapore.
Dan is poised take what he loves, and all the lessons he’s learned so far, and pour them into becoming the professional he’s always deserved to be…
Both as a fighter in his own right, but also as a coach to others.
He’s an inspiring guest, and openly shares the hurdles he’s overcome to remain true to who he is and achieve what he has.
Training at any level, and especially at the highest level, teaches you things about yourself.
Dan is good at listening to, and learning from the lessons in his Muay Thai journey…
This is your chance to learn from someone with over 20 years experience in this game at the highest level.
What would you go back and tell your younger self?
Well uniquely, Dan can tell himself these things while he’s still in his prime!
Listen up, Dan has wisdom way beyond his years… I’d argue, wisdom that many don’t achieve in a lifetime.
Daniel McGowan, 2x World Champion, UK Number 1 Featherweight, unbeaten in Lumpini and Rajadamnern stadiums in Bangkok over a total of 8 fights, and he’s still only 25 years old!
You can find out more about Dan and learn about his latests exploits @danmcgowanmt on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/danmcgowanmt/
And check out his website https://danmcgowanmuaythai.com along with his YouTube channel too: https://www.youtube.com/user/maddog20201888
Also for all things Evolve MMA, check out: https://evolve-mma.com/
And the Evolve University Master Courses at: https://evolve-university.com/courses/
Join the most informed Muay Thai performance community out there!
Subscribe Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/donheatrick
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-science-of-building-champions/id1493554765
Each episode revolves around my Four Big Questions…
- What’s Your Story?
- What’s Your Why?
- What Makes A Champion?
- Challenges And Lessons Learned?
Digging into the answers to these questions helps uncover and share both the commonalities, and the differences in the journey to become a champion. And can help inspire and fast-track your journey too.
Timestamped Links To Key Points of Interest…
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:56 It started with a leaflet
- 3:14 Football’s loss is Muay Thai’s gain
- 3:46 Game changer – Liam Robinson
- 4:40 Fighting and winning at Rajadamnern Stadium age 15
- 5:13 Lessons learned from a coach like Liam Robinson
- 9:16 Evolving into a coach – harder than it looked!
- 11:38 Coaching maybe demands more energy than fighting
- 13:34 Full time fighters outside of Thailand must also be coaches
- 14:09 Adapting the Thailand training model to suit reality outside of Thailand
- 16:18 If some training is good, more is better?
- 18:21 Do. Not. Compare. Yourself. To Others.
- 20:53 The results speak for themselves – training bragging rights vs ring performance
- 20:20 The Muay Thai vibe is different – additive – and brings unique opportunities
- 24:44 If you’re top-level Muay Thai, you’re one of the top-level combat athletes in the world
- 26:31 Respect and violence in equal quantities – even if just against the pads
- 28:05 How the training keeps you sane – a natural drug
- 32:24 Beyond the competitive career – longer-term awareness
- 34:02 Work ethic, patience, the bulletproof mindset
- 35:55 Learn to lose – there’s no undefeated record in this game
- 37:04 Being a fighter takes something different
- 38:45 Positive mindset is the key, switch it up, momentum builds again
- 40:42 Pinching yourself… Invited to join the Evolve MMA Singapore team at Far East Square
- 44:03 A fanboy teaching and training alongside the best of the best in combat sports
- 45:44 A native English asset
- 49:02 Opportunites afforded to Muay Thai elites by professional companies in combat sports
- 50:45 Knowing your worth and chasing your dream
- 54:31 Fighting well despite the obstacles, and looking forward to fighting now those obstacles have been overcome
- 56:57 Not here to just to take part – the drive to be truly world class
- 58:55 Look after your body as well as train hard
- 1:03:53 Be truthful with yourself
- 1:05:50 A multi-discipline team helps you go further, and go longer
- 1:07:05 How to reach your goals
- Muay Thai Mindset – Who Are You Competing Against?
- Tony Myers – The Science of Building Champions Podcast
- The 3 Biggest Mistakes I’ve Made
- Strength & Conditioning for Muay Thai 101 – A Science-Based Approach to Accelerated Athletic Development
- Bodyweight Training for Fighters – how to do it properly (what you should/shouldn’t do)
- Breaking Limits In Muay Thai
- Struggling With Motivation? UNSTOPPABLE Muay Thai Mojo
Founder of Heatrick Strength and Conditioning
Don Heatrick is a family man from the UK, former mechanical design engineer, European Muay Thai silver medallist, former pro Thai boxer (ranked 4th in UK while aged 40-years), a Muay Thai coach, podcast host, and the go-to expert on Muay Thai performance training with over 25 years of coaching experience.
Don helps ambitious fighters and coaches take their game to the next level by bridging the gap between Strength & Conditioning, Performance Science, and Muay Thai.
Follow Don Heatrick on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/donheatrick/
Leave A Comment