Panicos Yusuf came to England from Cyprus on a one-way ticket, with just £60 in his pocket and a habit of working hard…
He’s since achieved an incredible amount in the sport of Muay Thai, owing everything to his family, his friends, his coaches and training partners.
And he’s grateful to have been noticed by those in the game, and he’s keen to pay it forward to those that are working hard too.
In this episode… Panicos Yusuf, a 2 times Muay Thai World Champion, a fighter and owner of All Powers Gym in Stockport, UK…
Not to mention a One Championship athlete and a Yokkao regular too…
And we speak here ahead of his fight against Chris Shaw at Yokkao 49 (photo slideshow from the event)
You can follow Panicos on Instagram @panicosyusuf https://www.instagram.com/panicosyusuf/, and follow the All Powers Gym @allpowersgym https://www.instagram.com/allpowersgym/
And check out the All Powers Gym website https://www.allpowersgym.co.uk, and all of Panicos’ Warrior Collective tutorials here: https://www.warriorcollective.co.uk/?s=panicos&post_type=product&type_aws=true
Show notes for this episode with further references and resources below!
- 00:00:00 – Intro and how Panicos discovered Muay Thai as a boy in Cyprus
- 00:02:52 – First fight, 2-months in to training!!
- 00:04:53 – The differences when boxing (hands only)
- 00:06:39 – Even after 21 years… Reluctant mother
- 00:07:59 – Evolution as a coach and a gym owner
- 00:10:36 – Support will come – and it has to!
- 00:11:55 – ONE Championship opportunity
- 00:16:10 – Financial considerations for a pro fighter in fight camp
- 00:16:58 – Focusing on Muay Thai again
- 00:18:24 – Loving Muay Thai for the contact! But then continuing to love it for what its given in life!
- 00:20:13 – Coming to England on a one-way ticket with £60 in his pocket
- 00:21:20 – Paying it forward: Muay Thai builds better people
- 00:22:53 – Having faith in your coach – finding your real limits
- 00:24:02 – Pushing fighters the hardest in the first 5 – 10 fights
- 00:25:15 – Talent is not as valuable a hard work
- 00:26:52 – Your character in training, reveals your character in life
- 00:28:20 – Students are a reflection of their coach
- 00:29:56 – Different life experiences affect how a student picks up new things, and how they learn
- 00:30:46 – It’s the coach’s fault if students don’t get it, not the student – understanding perspective is important
- 00:32:24 – Fight camps are a big struggle for fighter/gym owners – the importance of your support network
- 00:35:10 – Lessons in clinch courtesy of Greg Wootton!
- 00:36:40 – Not so precious… Cross training with different coaches and sparring partners
- 00:40:24 – When it’s the time to focus your influences
- 00:41:36 – Diet trial and error!
- 00:42:34 – Incorporating strength & conditioning properly
- 00:43:00 – 36 year old Panicos would kick 25 year old Panicos’ ass!
- 00:45:10 – Unnecessary wear and tear when you were younger is only revealed when you’re older
- 00:46:03 – Learning to be smart and efficient with your training
- 00:47:46 – Always learning! Open to new ideas and approaches
- 00:48:36 – Hard work is the one thing you need to be successful
- What Is My Ideal Fight Weight Class?
- Muay Thai Fighting Styles and Becoming a Complete Fighter
- Muay Thai Mindset – Who Are You Competing Against?
- The 3 Biggest Mistakes I’ve Made
- Strength & Conditioning for Muay Thai 101 – A Science-Based Approach to Accelerated Athletic Development
- Recovery – The Secret to Rapid Performance Improvement
- Breaking Limits In Muay Thai
- Your Training is Your Responsibility
- Download the Optimal Fight Camp Blueprint
Founder of Heatrick Strength and Conditioning
Don Heatrick is a family man from the UK, former mechanical design engineer, European Muay Thai silver medallist, former pro Thai boxer (ranked 4th in UK while aged 40-years), a Muay Thai coach, podcast host, and the go-to expert on Muay Thai performance training with over 25 years of coaching experience.
Don helps ambitious fighters and coaches take their game to the next level by bridging the gap between Strength & Conditioning, Performance Science, and Muay Thai.
Follow Don Heatrick on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/donheatrick/
Leave A Comment